Saturday, March 15, 2014

Crafty

Holy Toledo Batman!

 I find myself so grateful for my crafty side
as the forecast for tomorrow calls for flurries and 20 degrees

As I'm watching friends slowly loose their minds and
frantically booking trips to Florida
I began to look around at what I've been doing during
the "winter that seems to have no end"


I've got Mache ready to go when it warms up and
my eggplant, onions and peppers are getting a good head-start
in the basement under lights

I've sewed a whole new wardrobe (mostly in linen) and still have
 a few more fabrics, with patterns on top, ready to go

I'm crazy over Citronille (Fiddleheads has English versions of many)
 and I think I'm trying to make
everything in the book "Simple Modern Sewing"

This project really tickles me - 
I've been making my own beauty products!

      

It's just like cooking and I have most everything already here.
After reading a lot of "recipes" I used the ones on the
Wellness mama blog site as a base to come up with my own versions

The coolest thing being these Tallow lotion bars - 
Tallow, rendered beef fat, contains tons of vitamins and minerals
and is great for sensitive skin.
In just one week my winter eczema on my shins has completely healed
I have been suffering with this for 20 years!

I've put the recipe at the end of the post and am so grateful
to Colleen at Old Ackley Farm for rendering
the beef fat for me from their beautiful grass fed source



Sewing with friends on Mondays at Lily's. 
Look at this fabulous baby quilt Chris made - double sided!








Yesterday,  I cut these luscious strips of color
 for a new quilt creation of my own
(while listening to House of Cards on my computer)
How decadent is that?!



Oh yeah, have I mentioned that 
I've moved everything around in our house?

And have drank a lot of bottles of wine....


Hope you are well
Especially if your forecast calls for snow tomorrow.

Enjoy!
Kyra

TALLOW LOTION BARS

2.6 ounces beef tallow (from a healthy source)
2.6 ounces shea butter
1 ounce beeswax
1 tsp. calendula oil

Combine all ingredients in a quart size glass jar
Place this jar into a small saucepan of water on the stove.
Turn burner on medium heat and bring to a low simmer.
Stir ingredients constantly until they are melted and smooth.

Pour into greased molds of your choice
I used coconut oil to grease my old corn bread muffin tin

Let cool, pop out, wrap as desired and store extras
in the refrigerator/freezer or give to friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment