Wednesday, May 22, 2013

If You Can't Beat em', Join em'



For 15 years I have been trying to stop intensely prolific white violets
from taking over my gardens, both at Lily's and at home.

Each year by Memorial Day I stand up from the dirt,
proudly surveying my efforts for clear brown earth, and know
that I have finally succeeded.
Only to turn around each spring to discover an even more intense
covering of the bloody things.

My new theory is that the deer are pooping out the seeds
as they eat all my roses.

This year I've left them there.
I even picked some for pleasing bouquets on my dinner table.
What the hell, breath into the resistance they say.


In other efforts I have come up with a new recipe for
thumbprint cookies using my left over almond meal from my almond milk
They are simply delicious and I thought I'd share.
You are actually getting two recipes in one because if you
use traditional dry almond meal flour instead you will
get a wonderful crisp shortbread cookie

ALMOND THUMBPRINTS

2 cups moist almond meal 
(left over from making almond milk)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup brown rice syrup
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Your favorite jam

Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
Whisk the wet ingredients (minus the jam) in a medium bowl
Stir the two together and knead gently into a ball of dough
Roll into walnut sized balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking tray
With your thumb, make an indentation in each cookie
Fill with a bit of jam and bake in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned
and just firm to the touch, about 12-15 minutes
Allow to cool
Enjoy!

If you use regular almond flour to make shortbread,
after making your balls, flatten them to a 1/3" thickness
before baking.

Have a great day
Kyra


No comments:

Post a Comment