Monday, April 8, 2013

Perfect Rice

"Your Life is Your Canvas"
-my Jovius message for today

Perfect, because I am committed on this
gloriously sunny day of Spring
to paint my canvas


with good friends,


delicious food


and the colors of my heart 
~
I would also like to share with you that I have,
after 30+ years,  changed the way I cook rice
and it is the BEST ever!


You cook it like pasta! 
This is one cup of rice in a full pot of water 
with a tsp of kosher salt


Bring it to a boil, simmer gently for a timed amount
it took this sprouted brown rice about 25 minutes


Test for doneness, once it is where you want it,
pour it out into a fine mesh strainer
and Voila! Perfect rice


 And, a trade secret;
if you are using the rice in a salad, or to sauté with other ingredients
spread your cooked rice out on a sheet pan to cool,
it doesn't over cook and remains the perfect texture
for whatever rice games you play

I love to sauté lots of spring onions lightly in butter and garlic
and then add the rice to the pan to warm up and coat
with the delicious flavors
add some roasted asparagus, a little lemon zest,
Yum!!

Happy Monday everyone
 Here's to thoughtful strokes while painting your life canvas.

Lots of love and sunshine,
Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment