Sunday, February 24, 2013

One Recipe Leads to Others

photo from Sarah Britton's blog My New Roots
The recipe for a "life changing loaf of bread" from
one of my favorite blogs My New Roots
started me rustling through my cupboards
for the listed ingredients

Where I found 2 bags of puffed millet.
which lead me to researching and developing
an idea for Millet Squares, a healthy take on 
Rice Crispy Treats, to use the millet up

Millet, in case you didn't know is high in protein and Vitamin B,
making it a wonderful substitute for puffed rice


The recipe called for nut butter, which I didn't have any of, so
I decided to make my own.  I always heard all you have to do
is process the nuts long enough for them to turn into butter

Well, I put two cups of my roasted almonds into the food processor and
about 4 minutes later, I had Almond Butter!


I then set out to make my Millet Squares and they
were a big hit with Renee so I thought I'd share the recipe

Oh yea, I made the "life changing bread" too.
It is delicious - check out her recipe.

MILLET SQUARES

1/2 cup nut butter
1/2 cup honey (I used brown rice syrup)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups puffed millet
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit ( I had raisins on hand)

Grease an 8x8 pan
Place the millet and dried fruit in a large bowl
Combine the nut butter, honey and salt in a small sauce pan
Stir until melted and just comes to a boil
Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour over millet and fruit
Stir to coat completely
Press mixture into your greased pan and let cool 1 hour

Enjoy!

Kyra


No comments:

Post a Comment