Sunday, January 13, 2013

Decadence

I continue to be thrilled and amazed at
the ability I have to create my own schedule since not running the cafe

I was a giddy school girl as I nestled into
my seat on the bus from Bangor to Boston on Friday morning,
watching the Princess Bride and eating my "road snacks"


My Uncle, who lives outside of Philly, and I were meeting half way
for a 24 hour romp in the city.

Actually ~ my dear Uncle is who got me on this life track
of enjoyment and healthy eating.
Taking me to elegant restaurants as a child and preaching to me about
brown rice and complete proteins in my teens


We got right down to business with a late lunch at Sportello

and then headed over to the Institute of Contemporary Art,
where, unbeknownst to me, the show was of the protests of the 80's
and I'm still processing how much has been absorbed, saturated or even rectified 
 since I was in my teens and early twenties


Dinner reservations at the hot spot Island Creek weren't until 9:30

Leaving me walking back to my room at the Newbury Guest House
well after midnight

Satiated with the city and a wonderful time catching up
I found myself looking forward to my seat on the bus
in the morning, getting me home and on my couch just in time
for the playoffs that afternoon.

I love when things are just enough

Here is a recipe for my favorite thing to throw together
on Sunday morning or late Saturday night, perfect with 
oven roasted sweet potato fries

CRANBERRY SAGE SAUSAGE PATTIES

1/3 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
pinch of red pepper flakes 
3/4 -1 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
a few cracks of black pepper
1 T crumbled dried sage or 3 T chopped fresh sage
1/4 tsp dried oregano or 1 tsp chopped fresh
1 lb. ground pork (I use Old Ackley Farm's of course)

Toss everything together, except the pork, to combine

Break the pork up and mix gently but thoroughly with
the spice mixture to evenly incorporate it

Form small patties, about 2 inches in diameter

Heat 1 T of coconut oil in a heavy bottomed skillet

Pan fry sausages until a deep brown on both sides
and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side

Sometimes, when I feel like it I drain most of the
fat from the pan after I've cooked the sausages
and deglaze the pan with red wine until it
reduces to a thick sauce and pour it over the sausage patties

But, usually I just pile them on a plate and eat them right away!

Enjoy,
Kyra





No comments:

Post a Comment