Monday, December 17, 2012

Cleaning House


Okay, I have answered emails,
vacuumed, mopped the floors


I even cleaned the globes on the chandelier


I have one more work project to complete before I can
go into my sewing room to make more of these awesome pin cushion caddies!

As I struggle with this balance I was reminded of a poem
my father had sent me years ago, when I had just begun quilting

MY QUILT
 - Author unknown

My neighbor is washing her windows
and scrubbing and mopping her floors.
But my house is all topsy-turvy and
dust is behind all the doors.

My neighbor, she keeps her house spotless
and she goes all day long at a trot.
But no one will know in a fortnight 
if she swept today or not.

The task I am at is enticing...
My neighbor is worn to a rag.
I am making a quilt out of pieces 
I have saved in a pretty chintz bag.

And the quilt, 
I know my descendants
will exhibit with prideful heart.
"So lovely - my grandmother made it,
an example of patience and art"

But will her grandchildren remember
her struggles with dirt and decay?
They will not...
they will wish
she had made them a quilt
 like the one I am making today.
~
Happy Monday
Kyra



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, LOVE your pincushion caddies and fabric choices. That makes me want another one so badly! Also love the sentiment in the poem: I will remember that the next time I need an excuse to sew instead of clean... sounds like you've got your priorities straight, girl! XO, Rhea

    ReplyDelete