Friday, September 7, 2012

Eggpant "Meatballs" and Roasted Tomato Sauce


I have been cooking like CRAZY

There is so much coming out of my garden, I can't keep up
But, I am loving it!

See those carrots to the right on my messy counter?
Well, I had just finished whining to a farmer at market on Wednesday
that I had planted carrots three times and not had any luck

Upon returning I decided to check one more time in the
lower garden - HA!  Where did they come from?
Very exciting


 The nights are getting cooler here and I feel a sense of
urgency to use the heat loving veggies out there before
they suddenly disappear, like my eggplant, and of course
I have been roasting and freezing tomatoes like there is no tomorrow


The big tomatoes I quarter, lay on a sheet tray, drizzle with 
olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and toss a few garlic cloves around
Then I pop them into a 350-375 degree oven and roast them
until they are soft, caramelized and deliciously aromatic


Take them out, put them through a food mill,
leaving the seeds and skin behind and freeze the
sweet acidic sauce in containers for the long winter

All those sun gold cherry tomatoes on the counter - they go in
by themselves with just oil and a little salt

Last night I heated a few tablespoons of olive oil in a sauce pan,
added a T of chopped garlic, let it sizzle and then poured 
in the sauce from the sun golds with a pinch of salt
I simmered it about 15 minutes while I cooked
a batch of soba noodles and then tossed the cooked noodles into the sauce
I topped the whole thing with these delicious eggplant "meatballs"
and we ate like pigs!!

EGGPLANT "MEATBALLS"

4-5 cups cubed raw eggplant, skin on or off, your call
1 cup +/- diced onion
(I used red cipolline from Carding Brook Farm - so good Jen!)
1 cup toasted pecans or walnuts, finely ground
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
1 cup bread crumbs*
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Kosher salt to taste
2 eggs

Sauté the eggplant, onions and a pinch of salt in a bit of oil until tender and golden
Place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients except the eggs
Toss and taste for salt
Add eggs and combine well

Form mixture into golf ball sized balls and place on a baking tray
drizzle with oil and bake in a 375 degree oven until deep golden brown
this takes approximately 20-25 minutes and I turn the tray once in my oven


Serve warm with whatever else your heart desires.
At the cafe we made vegetarian meatball subs with these
for a special sandwich and they were a favorite

*to make these gluten free without any gluten free bread around 
I used 1/2 cup almond meal from my nut milk
with 1 T arrowroot powder)

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

I am headed to Nebo on North Haven for dinner tonight
with friends and then serving lunch at Carding Brook Farm on Sunday

Maybe I will see you there - and you can take some pictures for me
because my new camera isn't due here until next week :)

Kyra




No comments:

Post a Comment