Monday, August 27, 2012

"Traveling" and a Recipe


You can feel it can't you?
Summer is coming to a close and my whole being is
telling me to slow down, gather, assess and preserve

Gather ~ food, energy, community
Assess ~ my space, my life, where I am
Preserve ~ all those tomatoes coming from the garden!
But also, just as importantly, the spirit and balance I have achieved so far
during this lovely year of pause


It's funny,
all this year and even before,
people consistently ask me where I have been traveling. 

I consistently respond with a blank look on my face and no words,
not to be rude, but because I have been traveling like crazy,
but not to Europe or Asia like they are assuming

How do you explain?

Then I read this quote yesterday from Pilar Guzman, Editor in Chief of MSL

"...Of course, travel is more about changing your state of mind -the departure
from routine, the act of discovery- than it is about taking a grand tour.
It is precisely the ability to seek out the new (or the old, with fresh eyes)
and to maintain a sense of wonder even in our hometowns......."

Seriously.  I could not have put it better.

So YES! I HAVE been traveling. Like crazy. and I am so grateful for
the place I live and the people I share it with.
Thank you ,  Thank you

In my "travels" I have discovered what many of you probably
take for granted about me, my favorite way to express gratitude for this
abundant life is to feed you!

Here is a delicious dish of pasta I made with a huge haul from the garden the other day:

PASTA WITH ROASTED VEGGIES AND BASIL PESTO


1 pound of your favorite pasta, plus a little cooking water
I used the Sweet Potato Buckwheat noodles from King Soba
4 cups cubed eggplant
2 cups cubed zucchini
4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 sweet onion, diced
oil, salt and pepper
1 +/-  cup basil pesto
A little bit of your favorite mozzarella like cheese

I used this wonderful goat's milk cheese I just found at the Blue Hill Coop:


Preheat your oven somewhere between 400 and 450 degrees
Cook your pasta in lots of salted water until al dente, drain - saving
some of the cooking liquid, not more than a cup-
and rinse in cold water, set aside



Toss your zucchini and eggplants (separately) lightly in oil, season
with a bit of salt and on separate trays roast them in your hot oven until
tender and caramelized, turning them occasionally to promote even browning
This should take about 20 minutes.
You are keeping them separate because they take different times to cook


meanwhile, put your pasta into a big bowl, with the fresh tomatoes,
diced onion and some grated cheese


Throw your roasted veggies in when they come out


along with the pesto and a little pasta water to loosen it all up
(If you don't remember to save some pasta water, which I often forget to do,
just add a bit of water from the tap.  You don't need much)


Serve warm or at room temp with extra pesto on top and a drizzle
of really nice olive oil for pure decadence.

Enjoy
 And travel through your days with your eyes and heart open

Happy Monday
Kyra






No comments:

Post a Comment