Thursday, June 28, 2012

Kale Salad


I woke up the other day feeling a bit off,
I thought maybe I was coming down with something, or that I was just tired for some reason

Three days later and it seems to be sorting itself out.

I'm not tired, or sick,
 I'm beginning to RELAX

Weird. Nice.


There is this wonderful, yet unfamiliar, calm that seems to come with relaxing.
I'm breathing deeper
I feel satisfied with the moment in hand,
rather than creating 6 things to do at once

While showing a design client a house I really like
I discovered this INCREDIBLE field of flowers.

When we were through, I went back with a basket and picked some


I had friends over last night for a simple Wednesday night supper.
I made Cajun Halibut with Garlic and Lime , a recipe I discovered
while leafing through my own cookbook! ("Cooking In the Moment")


And I made this incredible kale salad with roasted sweet potatoes and dried cherries
that has really become a favorite.
Recipe below


A final thought from my daily affirmation
"...sometimes more isn't always better.  Chasing in circles that which you think 
you want or need is simply an illusion"

I hope you have sunshine in your day today
Kyra

KALE SALAD WITH ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
AND DRIED CHERRIES

1 large bunch of kale, stems removed and sliced into a thin julienne
2 good sized sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 large red onion, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
or if you have an abundance: 1 cup of shallots, peeled and thickly sliced
1/2 cup dried cherries, cut in half if large
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1 T sherry vinegar
1 T brown rice vinegar
2 T olive oil
Plus more oil for roasting onions and sweet potatoes
Salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
Toss sweet potatoes with some olive oil to coat and season with salt
Place on sheet tray in a single layer and roast, turning potatoes on tray occasionally until golden and tender, about 20 -25 minutes
Place your onion pieces in a small oven proof dish, moisten with olive oil and a bit of salt
and roast along side sweet potatoes, turning occasionally
Remove both from oven and allow to cool to room temperature

Meanwhile, whisk your vinegars, 2 T of oil and salt and pepper to taste to make a dressing
Toss raw julienned kale with dressing and allow to sit for 30 minutes
This will soften the kale 
Toss kale with the roasted sweets, onions, pumpkin seeds and cherries
Adjust salt and pepper as needed
Serve at room temp or chilled
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment