Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Almond Milk


I have just had my first bowl of cereal EVER with milk on it

I have hated milk since I was a child...
enter memories of my mother
 making me sit to the table after dinner until I drank my milk
which of course was warm by now, and of course led us both into many a long dark evening


BUT! 47 years later that is all over now
thanks to almonds, milk and a lovely video by Sarah Britton


 Simple stuff here kids.  I've tweaked the original recipe
a touch and it is really delicious
Soak 1 cup raw almonds in water for at least 24 hours in the fridge
(I have had the best results if they sit for even a bit longer)



Rinse them in a strainer under cold water
place them in a blender, whir it around until they are all chopped up
Pour the milk and nut meat into a pitcher thru some sort of straining cloth, cheese cloth works fine
I use one of my reusable produce bags (awesome product by the way)


Squeeze the nut meat to release every last drop of this delicious milk

I then add 2 pinches of sea salt and a 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
both are optional, but boy they make it good
Stir to mix.


Pour the almond milk into glass jars with lids and chill what you don't drink.
Good for up to 5 days in the fridge


I throw the leftover nut meat into my shakes in the morning,
add them to cookies or use for a pie crust...
but one of the best things I have done with them is to toss them with
pasta and a tomato sauce.  Yum! meaty texture, protein - brillant.

Simple.

Enjoy!
Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment