Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Raw Brownie


I am continually filled with wonder by my ability to fill a day up
to the brim with activity.  Whether this is a quality or a problem is
still yet to be decided.  I knew, as I approached my year of pause, that
without the cafe to blame, I would have to take full
responsibility for my overachieving ways.  

This week began on Sunday at 4am (really 3am because of the friggin
time change) as I woke to go to the auction.  I scored well and arrived home
tickled with my days purchases just in time to get ready for 5 dinner guests at 6pm.

I had cooked all the day prior, so just had to do the finishing touches - the
party ended with everyone full and spent around 10pm.

Monday morning Renee and I were on the road to Portland for a wine seminar by 9am.
Arriving home at 8pm I readied myself for bed and a little reading before
setting the alarm to wake up at 5am to work out before going to the High School 
to teach 20 kids how to make potato salad.

 A wonderful time spent, the 
kids were great, and ate almost 10 pounds of Lily's potato salad
all by themselves. 

 I then rushed off to Ellsworth for a design meeting at 1pm.


On the way I stopped at Old Ackley Farm to pick up eggs for my
upcoming pancake breakfast.  As I was greeted by this posing rooster, warm sunshine and 
the lush quiet of nature I stopped to take a breathe.  
WTF?  

I am SO enjoying all of this, but aren't I supposed to be practicing 
slow deliberate movements?  Practicing quiet unburdened moments of time
in my home to sew and contemplate.  

I want both!!  OMG, do you think I'll figure this out in a year?


I would like to pay forward a wonderful post made by alewives girl
yesterday by giving you this slightly tweaked recipe of a raw brownie I discovered on
yet another great blog My New Roots written by Sarah Britton. 
 Sarah says these will change your life.  I know they have enriched mine.

Dates are in season kids and they make these brownies moist and delicious.
 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups pecans
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup natural cacao (coco) powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted

Place the pecans and almonds in the bowl of a food processor and process until
nuts are a fine meal and just begin to release their oils, don't go too long or you will make nut butter
Add coco powder and salt, pulse to blend.
With the machine running add the dates, one at a time through the feed tube of the
food processor.  You should end up with a moist crumbly dough that easily holds together 
when pressed
Press this mixture into a pan of your choice.  I use an 8x8 for a nice thickness.
Place in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve.

I keep them in the freezer to make them easy to remove from the pan, but like
to leave them out at room temp for 15 minutes before eating them.

Enjoy! (And thanks Rhea)
Kyra 



1 comment:

  1. Love, it came here via Alewives Girl and am thrilled to see contemplative posts and sighs of Maine for I am a Maine Child living in Vermont. Your wonder resonates with me. I am on sabbatical and busier than ever and loving all that is rising.

    ReplyDelete