Monday, February 27, 2012

blackberry puree


Have you noticed that you haven't been eating all those luscious wild
blackberries that you picked in the end of summer? 
 I've noticed.

Bags of the delicious things that I fought brambles and aggressive cats
 for are just sitting in my freezer. 

 It's all those seeds! 
 My morning smoothies with them
had at least a thousand seeds in the last swallow - not good.

So, I decided to make a wonderful blackberry puree.
Now I am using them in everything!  In my smoothies, added to sparkling water for a 
"soda", as a syrup on greek yogurt, as the base for sauce for sautéed chicken breasts 
the list goes on.

I do this with raspberries too and it freezes well.



Place the berries in a heavy bottom sauté pan with
a bit of a sweetener if very tart ( used 1/4 cup coconut crystals to 8 cups blackberries)
a few T of water ( I added 4) and the juice of 1/2 a lemon
Heat this on medium high heat just until it begins to boil.
Immediately remove from heat and place in a food processor


Process until pureed


Pour puree into a tight mesh strainer over a bowl and push the
puree through the strainer, leaving the seeds behind


Deep dark deliciousness with no seeds!!
Let it cool and store in fridge or freeze in small batches for
easy access.

Enjoy!
Kyra

No comments:

Post a Comment